The API integration with ActiveCampaign is the easiest and most flexible way to integrate Deadline Funnel with your ActiveCampaign account. Each Deadline Funnel campaign gets its own API integration.
Important: You will need to complete the setup of your first evergreen campaign before you can integrate ActiveCampaign. Be sure to select ActiveCampaign as your email service provider.
In this document:
- Where to find your API details in ActiveCampaign
- How to configure a new ActiveCampaign API Integration
How to configure a new ActiveCampaign API Integration:
1. Click on the Integrations tab in Deadline Funnel to set up your ActiveCampaign integration:
2. Enter your ActiveCampaign API URL and API Key into the correct boxes. You can find these in your ActiveCampaign account under Settings > Developer:
3. Once you've pasted both values in Deadline Funnel, click 'Next':
4. Select or create a custom field to store each lead's deadline:
We call this the "deadline text" field, and it's just a field in ActiveCampaign —similar to the name or email field— that stores each lead's unique deadline.
You can either select an existing custom field from the drop down, or create a new custom field right here in Deadline Funnel. To create a new custom field, start typing into the box and hit enter when you're done.
Please keep in mind:
- We recommend naming it something related to your promotion, so that when you see it in a contact's record, you can easily identify what it's for.
- If you have multiple Deadline Funnel campaigns, make sure to use a different custom field for each Deadline Funnel campaign.
- Once a custom field has been populated (i.e. it shows a deadline) editing this in ActiveCampaign will not change that prospect's deadline. This is simply a text record of their deadline and does not affect what they see on their countdown timers.
For reference only, this is how the custom field will appear in ActiveCampaign. You will not need to make any changes to it here.
5. Copy your Deadline Funnel webhook:
6. Add a webhook action to your automation in ActiveCampaign:
You can add this webhook anywhere in your automation where you want the deadline to be triggered. We recommend adding it in the very beginning to make it easier to test your funnel. Note that the deadline will begin counting down for each prospect when they hit that point in your automation, so calculate your deadline length accordingly.
To add the webhook in the automation, click on the plus symbol, choose "Conditions and Workflow", and then click "Webhook". Paste your Deadline Funnel webhook here and hit "save".
Now the deadline will begin for each contact as soon as they reach that webhook in your automation.
7. Test that the webhook is working by adding a contact to your ActiveCampaign automation, waiting for the webhook to happen, and then checking under Analytics in Deadline Funnel to confirm their email address was received by Deadline Funnel.
8. Last step — and this is important: Make sure to go through your ActiveCampaign emails and replace any links to your special offer page with the Deadline Funnel email link for that page.
Important Note about Email Links
For the API integration to work you MUST use the Deadline Funnel email links in any of your emails that link to a sales page with a countdown timer, or that link to a page in your funnel that links to another page with your countdown timer.
In other words, the API integration requires that your subscribers click one of the Deadline Funnel email links before they reach a page with a countdown. This is necessary in order to make sure each subscriber is assigned the correct deadline.
How to Time Your ActiveCampaign Emails to Match Your Deadline (optional)
You can time your reminder emails to be in sync with your leads' individual deadlines. We have a guide on how to do that here!
If you have any questions, send us a message in chat or email us at email@example.com.